Tuesday, June 16, 2009

play dates and bubbles

I just learned something very important about raising twins.

Yesterday I went to a play date at the park with another mother of twins, and my sister-in-law. (and all the kids, of course)

The "big" kids were over at the splash pad and I was sitting a little distance away at the picnic table feeding Avery & Brynn. Well, I noticed Evan was pushing the girls (twins who are 3-1/2), but I wasn't close enough to know why. I thought it was a little out of character for him, and I mentioned something to the girls' mom when she came back over to the table.

She told me that Evan just didn't want them so close to him and that twins don't really understand personal space. (and obviously my 3-year-old doesn't understand how to politely tell someone to stay out of his personal bubble)

It really does make a lot of sense, but to me (not a twin), I wouldn't have had a clue until I figured it out the hard way with Avery and Brynn (who shared tight quarters for nearly 9 months, who currently share a crib, and who are always right next to each other).

I suppose we will just cross that bridge when we get there with the girls, but for now it's one of those experiences you appreciate learning about from someone who has been-there-done-that.


And now for my favorite pictures of the day (hopefully I can get my hands on the other pictures that were taken that day - I'll post if I can):

Evan and his cousin, Avah



The park has a Children's Zoo - it's a little mini-farm with lots of ducks, cows, pigs, a donkey (fittingly named - by the way), some prarie-dogs, roosters, chickens, ok I'm done.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails