1. I recently started reading a new blog that does these ten on tuesday posts. I like the format, and I think I am going to borrow (steal?) the idea - ok, I'm linking her blog, so hopefully that doesn't mean I'm stealing it!?!?!
2. NE Iowa got a whole lot of rain last week in a very short period of time.
3. Some of it got into our basement (rain water, not the flooding river water). (honestly not a big deal compared to what happened to a lot of people in our area who lost their homes)
4. We went on a weekend trip to KC, with NO KIDS! Our first full weekend away with NO KIDS! (ok, this was sort of a big deal)
5. All of the above 4 items happened at roughly the same time.
6. We were about 30 minutes into our drive to KC and I almost made my husband turn around and take me home when we found out the dam at Lake Delhi was about to fail. (you may or may not have heard about it in your local news) The only reason we didn't turn around was because the forecast called for no rain while we were gone.
7. Did I forget to mention that we had just dropped the kids off with Grandpa and Grandma at their cabin the night before we left... which is located on Lake Delhi? And the dam did break, which basically turned the lake into a small river.
8. This was an incredibly devastating occurrence in our area. Even a few days after the water receded and the roads became drive-able - it still seems unreal.
9. I am very thankful that we have a community of people who gather around each other to pitch in and help. One of many reasons I love Iowa. I am also thankful that it didn't rain anymore while we were away.
10. This is such an important reminder of why we shouldn't put our stock in earthly possessions... because you never know when they might be swept away.
(This picture was taken at Lake Delhi behind the in-laws cabin, where I am standing used to be the lake)
I see lots of blogs with ads here an there, and I've debated putting an ad on my blog. Not that I have a huge amount of readers or hits on my blog each day - but why not earn a little side-cash, right?
Well, I have an opportunity to place an ad on my blog, and I'm wavering.
They have such unique ways of finding significance in seemingly insignificant things.
A few weeks ago we did our run-of-the-mill shopping and Evan picked out some Toy Story vitamins.
Well, he still had some of the "old" vitamins left to finish and was completely devastated when I told him he couldn't open them right away. So he waited. And waited. And started the count down when there were 9 left.
He finished them off this morning.
And wouldn't ya know it, he's been talking about it all day. We just put him to bed and the last thing out of his mouth was... "I'm so excited to open my new vitamins in the morning."
If only we could be so excited about the little things.
Just one more reason this kid lights up my life....
...just so long as he doesn't wake up too early in his anticipation!
One of my fondest childhood memories was picking blackberries near my Grandpa & Grandma's house in Northern California. We'd pick as many as we could and bring allmost some of them home so my Grandma could make a blackberry pie.
So when my father-in-law told me they had a huge area full of blackberries right next to their cabin, I had a flood of wonderful memories filling my brain!
So a few weeks ago we packed our lunch, headed to the cabin, I put the girls down for a nap, and we went blackberry pickin'!
Such a rush of fantastic memories ~ the only memory I apparently left out was the one where I got poked by all the thorns!
7:30am - arrived at 5K site ~ yay, I get a t-shirt
7:50am - lining up with all the runners ~ holy crap, I can't believe I'm doing this...
8:00am - GO! ~ breath, Lori, breath
1 mile mark - 11-ish minutes ~ suh-weet, I'm doing better than I thought!
half-way point - the rest is supposed to be down-hill from here - feeling the burn, but I'm ok, oh look - a camera-man, I wonder what kind of gear he's got... 2 mile mark - keeping the 11-ish-min/mile pace ~ ok, I'm gonna die where did this hill come from?
10th Street - friend says the race ends on 2nd St - breath, Lori, breath
8th Street - I CAN do this... 5th Street - I WILL do this... ooh, another camera-man and he's got a canon and a kick-ass lens RR tracks - there's my brother-in-law... Hey! Finish line in sight - I AM doing this...