Thursday, November 18, 2010

I had a moment

A few years ago when Evan was a baby, there was a weekend that we were with my Aunt & Uncle.  As we were saying our goodbyes, my Uncle Gary turned to me and Dan and asked if he could pray for us in any way.  Dan's response was yes, please pray for patience.

My Uncle told us that he normally doesn't pray for that type of thing, but ok, and he prayed with us.

Fast forward over 4 years later and God has answered that prayer in many ways, and many times over... in fact, I can count three very distinct ways right off the top of my head...

...but not even close to the way I thought he would.

You see, God doesn't give you patience, he gives you opportunities to learn patience.

Fast forward a little more, to this morning.

I had a dentist appointment this morning ~ the dreadful kind, that left me with a sore mouth that I could barely speak out of.

I was sitting with the girls on the kitchen floor, and I had a moment...

One of those moments where I was overcome with gratefulness for what I have in my life, I had kissed both girls on the head (one of my favorite things to do), and I could barely feel it on my lips.  And I was grateful.  Grateful for the times that I can feel it.


Because so often, when something is gone, that's when we realize how thankful we are.

And I said a little prayer.

I've had so many opportunities lately to learn patience, my prayer revolved around asking God just to GIVE me patience, I was tired of trying learn it.

And I had another one of those moments where I felt this wave of hopefullness that God was actually going to give me some of the patience I so desperately need right now.

So leaned over to give Brynn another kiss...



...and she spit her apple juice in my face.




I guess I got my answer...

5 comments:

Christi said...

So as I was ready, I was almost getting a little weepy... and then...

Bwaha ahahahahaha... Ah yes.

Patience

Thank you for some serious reflection (and then a good laugh).

I hope you are feeling better.

Sharie said...

Love this post and what God is teaching you about patience. Seems like it's necessary to take these kinds of tests over and over and over....!! Thankful God is a patient teacher w/ us slower learners!

Elaine said...

Priceless...such is life.

Unknown said...

You made me laugh, literally out loud. I'm so glad I never prayed for patience, hahaha!

Christy said...

Good words, friend.

I laughed out loud when I got to the end of this post as well. So hard, in fact, that I had to read it to Tim. And he promptly burst out laughing too. Thanks for the laugh!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails