Monday, January 11, 2010

Recipe #2

The 2nd new recipe of the year was sent to me by my Aunt Elaine (hi!) last week, so I still haven't technically used any of my cookbooks yet, but I just couldn't let this recipe collect dust.

Before I go into it, let me just say - don't make this for only 2 people. You'll end up wasting a lot! (duh) I've got a whole pan sitting in my fridge that is going to go to waste, and it's just sad. But I do intend to make this again when my family is here in a few weeks for the girls' birthday celebration!!


French Toast Casserole
Giving credit to: Amber Fifield - don't know who she is, but her name is on the recipe - you are a smart lady, this recipe is YUMMY!

1 loaf french bread, cubed
1 8oz package of cream cheese, cubed
8 eggs
2-1/2 cups whole milk (I ended up using 2 cups skim, 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream left over from the Fettuccine Alfredo I made last week - but the author of this recipe said she used 1-1/4 cups whipping cream with vanilla and 1-1/4 cups whipping cream)
3/4 cup sugar
6 Tbl melted butter
1/2 cup maple syrup (the side note says to use REAL syrup, I did)

1. Spray 13x9 dish with cooking spray. Place 1/2 of the bread in the dish. Sprinkle with cream cheese cubes. Top with remaining bread.
2. Whisk remaining ingredients (butter will clump). Pour over bread. Press in bread to soak up liquid. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
3. Heat oven to 350 and bake uncovered 45 minutes or until lightly browned.


My oven is finicky - usually it cooks fast, but this didn't seem done after 45 minutes. The tops were golden brown, but the insides were a little mushy - the cream cheese didn't melt all the way, but it did melt when you dished it out. Who knows - but the flavor was quite good, not as sweet as you might think - which was perfect!

2 comments:

The Family said...

My mom makes this and calls it Blueberry French Toast (she makes a blueberry syrup to go with it). I am not an egg fan, but I love it!

Pocket Prayers said...

I almost forgot to put the maple syrup into the mix. To me it's kind of like bread pudding so next time I make it I'm going to add blackberries or raspberries. Gary's suggestion is raisins (hmmm, still not sure how I feel about that). The cream cheese isn't suppose to melt, just provide a savory melt in your mouth surprise when you come across a hunk.

Related Posts with Thumbnails