Sunday, March 28, 2010

to nap, or not to nap...

I had this assumption that it didn't matter if you got a bad night's sleep as a stay-at-home-mom, because you could just nap the next day.

No problem, right?

Right?

WRONG!


Let's just say I have successfully taken 4 naps since the girls were born*.

Four.

That includes the sleep-deprived-you're-expected-to-nap-when-they-nap age.

Last night I slept terribly, so today I decided to tempt fate and try to take a nap while the kids napped.

1:11pm - kids are in bed and quiet, so I go lay down
1:36pm - I am almost asleep but jolt out of bed realizing I left the dog outside
1:40pm - back in bed after letting Yoshi in
2:09pm - I must have fallen asleep for a little bit because I felt like a truck hit me when I realized Avery was screaming at the top of her lungs
2:13pm - I have Avery with me, but I still feel like a truck hit me so I go lay back down with her in my arms
2:30pm - again, I must have drifted off because I still feel like a truck hit me when the dog started barking - then I realize Avery has fallen asleep, so I try to ignore the barking dog
2:41pm - must have drifted off again, cause I feel like that truck is on top of me when I get 'woken' up to the sound of Brynn awake and fussing (but of course Avery is still in my arms, which of course they (my arms) have now fallen asleep)
2:43pm - as I come to my senses (literally), I realize why Avery had been screaming 30 minutes ago, so I go change her diaper and check on Brynn
2:45pm - the phone starts ringing


And that, my friends, is why I haven't bothered to try to take a nap in almost a year!


*to clarify, I have taken a few naps successfully on the weekends, but it's only when Dan is home and I can shut the door and turn the baby monitor off and not have that lingering feeling that someone is going to need me at any moment...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails