Thursday, April 16, 2009

Identical or Fraternal?

I have been asked this question a lot. Are the girls identical or fraternal? The easy answer is: we don't know. The longer answer is: they could be either, but most likely they are fraternal. The even longer answer is: There are only a few ways to know absolutely for sure without doing DNA testing. If they are a boy & a girl - they are fraternal. If they had the same amniotic sac or placenta - they are identical. I think there is another way to know, but it's escaping me right now. Even if they have separate sacs & placentas, they still could be identical. I have also read that some fraternal twins can look so much alike, they look identical & some identical twins may not look alike at all. (I thought it was strange, but that's what I read)

Avery and Brynn had separate sacs & placentas - since statistically there are more fraternal twins than identical, that is why we think they are most likely fraternal. Right now I don't think they look too much alike... until you get them sleeping... side by side...


Can you tell them apart?



Eventually I will probably want to get a DNA test done so I know for sure; but for now, I am happy just watching them grow... in some ways more alike, in other ways much different!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Two kool kids, plus the third Kutie makes a family full.
Love ya
Mom

Related Posts with Thumbnails